Latest Posts -

Indie Interview: Raine Thomas

Raine Thomas
1. What book inspired you most before you became a writer yourself?
I'll admit that there wasn't a single book or even a single author who inspired me most before I became a writer. I grew up reading Judy Blume, Beverly Cleary, Francine Pascal, Madeleine L'Engle, Laura Ingalls Wilder and other authors popular for young girls "way back" in the 80's and 90's. By the time I got to high school, I was into full-blown romance novels because there really wasn't a Young Adult Teen selection that interested me. Funny enough, now that I'm in my thirties, YA is my most preferred genre to read (as well as write).

2. First book you ever remember reading?
This one's easy: "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs." I clearly remember being six years old and sitting with my dad in the garage, begging him to let me read it to him. He later told me that it was the first time I'd ever read (they didn't teach us to read in Kindergarten back then).

3. How do you pick your character's names?
I have a wonderful character naming source book that is never far from my side when I write. It contains the origins and meanings of thousands of names. Since I write fantasy, some of the names are just made up by me. The main characters, however, usually have easily recognizable names with significance behind the name's meaning.

4. Name an excellent indie book that you think needs more recognition.
I'm in the middle of "When Copper Suns Fall" by KaSonndra Leigh. It's an excellent read so far!

5. Share some quotes you love! Either from your book or someone else's!
My favorite quote of all time: "How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live." --Henry David Thoreau

My second favorite: "'A writer only begins a book. A reader finishes it." --Samuel Johnson

A couple of quotes from my Daughters of Saraqael trilogy that have been highlighted a lot on Amazon include "We all have scars. Some of them are just more visible than others.” and "Whoever said that time heals all wounds and distance makes the heart grow fonder was full of crap."

Posted on Monday, February 13, 2012

Share this Post :

+ comments + 2 comments

February 13, 2012 at 4:27 AM

Great interview! I really loved finding out that she has meanings behind some of the names she chooses. That is really cool!

February 13, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Thanks for the comment, Tess! :)

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2011. A Love For Lit - All Rights Reserved